Jane Austen Comfort Food

With the rain, that was long in coming here in Southern California, it finally felt a little like winter for us. Something the 80 degree weather we were having (and seem to be having again) just didn’t do. Along with the rain came a desire for comfort food, which made me wonder if Jane Austen liked the same comfort foods we do and I suspect she did. This recipe, modified a bit from the one in the Jane Austen Cookbook, is my kind of comfort food. Personally I don’t care much for ‘regular’ mac and cheese as I am not a fan of melted cheddar. Not sure why, I like it cold, but never developed a taste for it melted. Which makes this one particularly good for me as there is no cheddar in it.

When I make this I use only about a half tablespoon of butter simply because I don’t need the extra fat, but it does give a wonderful flavor to the dish so use the whole amount of butter the first time you make it so you can see how it should taste. To that end, use cream because it makes it very rich and nice, but I use 2% milk under normal circumstances. The first time I made it I sprinkled cheese on top and broiled it, but don’t anymore. For me it doesn’t add much in the way of flavor and, as I am by myself, presentation isn’t so important. The oregano around the edge was just for the picture (it needed color) and I liked the fuzzy, gray-green of the leaves.

After you make it let me know what you think.

JaneMac&Cheese2Printable Macaroni Recipe

MacaroniI’m giving away a signed copy of Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen this week, so leave a comment for me.

"Clever, charming and affectionate"

“Clever, charming and affectionate”

31 thoughts on “Jane Austen Comfort Food

1. Sheila L. M. says:

Well, with Winter in full force here in the Northeast (Pennsylvania) this looks like something to save for a warmer day!

2. Vesper Meikle says:

I would replace the cream with natural yogurt, an item that is easier for me to obtain; but a quick and easy recipe to make

3. Sheila L. M. says:

BTW: I have this book on kindle so leave me out of the drawing – but thank you for the offering.

4. Christa says:

Thanks for reminding us of this wonderful receipe. I can’t wait to make it. I can understand why they would have used the parmasan cheese instead. I feel sad for the terrible winter so many have had this year. I live in Florida and while it has been colder than usual, it doesn’t keep us from activities. I would say my comfort food is Hot tea and toast.

• Sally Smith O'Rourke says:

Hot tea is a given, but then I drink it with everything. But tea and toast is my go-to remedy for a cold.

5. Gabriela VS says:

Looks great and its so easy to make.

• Sally Smith O'Rourke says:

It is both tasty and easy. Great work lunch. I put it in individual containers and then pop it in the microwave in the lounge. That and a small salad get me through the rest of the day.

6. junewilliams7 says:

Ooh, all Parmesan! That means no grating is necessary. I agree about not broiling the top; fresh off the stovetop is fine with me. Thanks for the recipe!

7. We make a macaroni cheese bake that is almost too cheesy (is thet possible?). This sounds like a yummy alternative.

8. Sally Smith O'Rourke says:

It definitely is!

9. Deborah says:

This looks yummy. I will try it this weekend as a side dish to trout. Will let you know how it does. Did you see my crckpot rolladen recipe a few weeks ago? If not, I’ll let me know & I’ll repost it this weekend. My family thinks it’s better than my grandmother’s traditional recipe.

10. Schilds says:

Looks good. Which Jane Austen Cookbook did you use? I bought one recently and I have had a hard time adapting recipes.

11. Anji says:

It sounds yummy. I’d have to go with Benecol (UK margarine that supposedly helps reduce cholesterol) instead of butter and low fat Greek yogurt instead of cream due to hubby’s raised cholesterol levels.

I love pasta with cheese and really like it grilled (broiled to you folk in the US) so that it goes a little brown round the edges. OK, so I may be a little weird in that respect but each to his own!

I might also be inclined to mix the cheese for the topping with some breadcrumbs to give it a bit of a crunch.

• I’ve made it without the butter at all, no additional oil. It still tasted very good, just not quite as rich.

• I’ve made it with no additional oil at all, no butter or margarine, and it tasted good, just not quite as rich.

The broiling or grilling (salamander) does made it a bit crispy around the edges as well as the very top. It’s nice that way but for me, all by myself, I just don’t bother heating up the oven to use the broiler.

Hope you enjoy it when you give it a try.

12. Pam Hunter says:

The recipe looks yummy! Can’t wait to give it a try!

13. Angela says:

I love homemade macaroni and cheese! I have never used parmesan cheese before in my macaroni, but I will definitely be trying it the next time I make it. Thank you for posting the recipe and the book giveaway. Have a great weekend!

14. Jo Skehan says:

Our winter will be on us soon enough and we eat quite a bit of pasta in winter…looking forward to trying this recipe out….looks delish!!!

15. Kaisa Mikkonen says:

The recipe looks yummy and quick and easy to make. I´ll try this tomorrow.

16. Liz Castillo says:

I love comfort food as much as the next person and Mac & Cheese is one of my favorites! Thanks for the share; I cannot wait to try it!

Thanks,
    Liz

17. Deborah says:

Made it as a side to trout. My husbsnd, who is one of the Fussiest eaters on this planet have it the highest praise…..”This is really good. Make it again.”. It was yummy, and I don’t like mac ‘n’ cheese.

18. Lynne says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe. My friends and I have macaroni and cheese contests and the battle is fierce! This looks like a winner for winter and beyond.